Aiming for progress, not perfection.

"...being confident of this, that He who began a good work in you
will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus."
Philippians 1:6

Sunday, May 11, 2008

mother's day.

i'm a mother. this is my second mother's day, but i still can't really believe it. you see that kid over there (looking adorable during our mother's-day-cook-out at the lake)? she's mine. and there's another one coming. it feels incredibly natural to me to be a mom. but then i stop and think about the monumental gravity of the responsibility, and i wonder if i'm fit.

i have several examples of amazing mothers in my life - first and foremost, my own. the challenges and heartache she has faced in the past few years have been overwhelming. i cannot imagine being in her position. i don't think i could make it. her continued persistence to get up and face each new day - no matter how she feels - is an inspiration. she is stubborn and determined not to give up. i hope i've inherited those traits from her.

and not only am i lucky to have an incredible natural mother, i have the most wonderful mother-in-law on the planet. i often wonder what i did to deserve delana. she is one of the hardest working women i know, and is most definitely one of the most generous and self-sacrificing. there isn't anything you could ask from her that she wouldn't do. she is my role model in the often-stressful position of being a pastor's wife.

my moms are very different, but their individual personalities, knowledge and wisdom encourage me because, even if i'm not fit to raise these two incredible children, they'll always be there to help me fill in the gaps.

happy mother's day, mommy.

happy mother's day, mama.

i love you guys so much. you bless me every second of my life.

1 comment:

marme said...

And I'm am even more blessed my daughter!