Aiming for progress, not perfection.

"...being confident of this, that He who began a good work in you
will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus."
Philippians 1:6

Thursday, August 23, 2007

a song in my heart.

background: i've been singing since i was five. music has a kind of profoud effect on my mood and my life that i can't begin to explain. during any period of my life, i can tell you the songs the play as the soundtrack.

i can remember walking through the halls of david and delana's church a long time ago -- i can't remember when exactly. either landon and i were engaged, or we'd just been married. but i was walking and singing.

and delana walked past me and said, "you have a little song in your heart, baby?"

she said it in passing, just as she was on her way somewhere else. but it made me think

"was that song in my heart because it was from the Lord, for this time?"

ever since then, i have been more aware of the songs that run through my head. and i'll tell you, i believe the Lord really does give me songs for my current situation. He's always ministered to me through music, but this isn't even a song i've heard lately. and it's in my head. encouraging me. if you look at my post from yesterday evening, you can see how i was amazed to notice these words lifting my head and heart from self-pity, dissapointment and discouragement.

i am continuously amazed at the myriad of ways my God reaches out to me. His love is rich, complex, all-encompassing and pursuing me always. it overwhelmes me.

"You raise me up. i am strong when i am on Your shoulders."

5 comments:

beautiful chaos said...

Ok - it could just be my computer or internet - but you simply canNOT put groban on there and make it to where I can't HEAR his voice. so not cool...

beautiful chaos said...

That comment was so completely unrelated to your post....
I think that singing is one of the best ways God gave us to get through things. I sing about everything. And yes, the songs that God puts in your heart are way better than the ones you hear on the radio that get stuck in your head. "And I said, what about breaskfast at Tiffany's"

cls said...

Oh no! Not the little African children singing with Josh Groban! This makes me bawl like a baby everytime! Aren't they beautiful!?

marme said...

I love the songs in my baby's heart and the thoughts of her soul and the wisdom God is giving her and the love He is engulfing her with.

my cup overflows.

Nanna's Place said...

I agree with you that the Lord gives us a song in our heart for the situations that we are in and the situations that we will have to face. I believe that it is His way of reassuring us that we are not walking this walk alone, but that He is with us ALL THE WAY!