Aiming for progress, not perfection.

"...being confident of this, that He who began a good work in you
will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus."
Philippians 1:6

Monday, August 20, 2012

I will hold Your people in my heart.

There's a song we used to sing in church when I was a kid called, "Here I am, Lord." I always loved it, and I can remember my mom's eyes welling with tears as she sang it, hymnal open across her palms. I cried, too.

The chorus goes like this, "Here I am, Lord. Is it I, Lord? I have heard you calling in the night. I will go, Lord, where you lead me. I will hold your people in my heart."

It has been at least 10 years since I sang that song at the church I grew up in. And 10 years ago, I can promise you, I had no idea why exactly that song made me cry.

This morning, Landon preached from Isaiah 6. Isaiah meets God, and hears Him ask, "Whom shall I send?" In verse eight, Isaiah answers, "Here I am. Send me!"

I have been struggling with some things related to my calling in the past few weeks, and the Lord brought to my memory all those times, years ago, when I sang to Him, "I will go, Lord, where you lead me. I will hold your people in my heart."

The sovereignty of God overwhelmed me as I realized how He knew my words meant something long before I did, how I cried tears over the calling on my life before I even knew there was a calling. I didn't even know what a calling was or that I wanted one.

The perspective shift was not lost on me. The things that have been troubling me are diminished amid the awareness that this King of mine knows my life forward and backward, from the first day to the last. He is in control. HE SEES ME.

He has called me to hold His people in my heart, and that I will do, no matter what.
"Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Who should I send? Who will go for us?" I said, "Here I am. Send me." -Isaiah 6:8

No comments: