Aiming for progress, not perfection.

"...being confident of this, that He who began a good work in you
will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus."
Philippians 1:6

Thursday, September 04, 2008

first steps.

before we go any further, let me just apologize to anyone who may have had the unfortunate experience of watching me struggle through my first run today. i know anyone who drove past must have been feeling incredibly bad for me. i know i looked pathetic.

but i did it. that was the goal for today.

do it.

i went 2* miles with walking/jogging intervals. i did a five minute walking warm up and then alternated 60 seconds of jogging with 90 seconds of walking. i did the walking/jogging pair seven times. of course, it became time to start the seventh jogging interval right at the bottom of the hill the comes up my street to my house. i was praying landon wasn't looking out the window.

aside from looking ridiculous, it felt really good to do something. i haven't worked out at all since the summer after my freshman year in college when i worked out really hard with a personal trainer and the smu volleyball team. on top of the sense of accomplishment making it to this 10k will bring, i know it will improve my quality of life by way of energy and positive outlook.

finally, i felt like i was having "me" time this afternoon. i got a whole half hour to work toward a pretty hefty goal. and then the greatness continued when i took a good long shower while landon was still watching the kids. if i can have an hour three times a week to be alone with my thoughts and my running shoes and enjoy a good shower, i think i'll be a pretty happy woman, no matter how fast - or should i say slow - i run the race at the end.

so here's to the capital 10k. the destination is daunting, but i'm focused on putting one foot in front of the other.

today, i took my first steps.

*changed from 1.5, which was reported in the original post. i re-clocked it, and, let's face it, i couldn't short-change myself!

No comments: