Aiming for progress, not perfection.

"...being confident of this, that He who began a good work in you
will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus."
Philippians 1:6

Sunday, March 23, 2008

lessons from a cold easter morning.

God loved on me and punked me in the same service this morning.

during worship i was singing, but i couldn't hear my own voice. you know, everyone else was singing, it was loud...makes sense. then all of a sudden, i could hear my voice separate from the rest. God whispered, "see that? remember that. I can always hear your voice apart from the crowd. you are special to Me."

talk about a sweet thought to which to cling.

the punking part came later in the service and has some background. see, there's a person who is going through a tough time right now. this person is essentially alone during those times we hate to be alone. at night, when it's dark and cold, this person has no one to help. it was suggested that i open my home to this person for a variety of reasons. possibly for an extended period of time. i basically threw a fit. "my house is not clean." "i can't walk around in my pj's." "there's only one shower, and it's in our bathroom." etc. etc. etc.

well, this morning, i heard God saying that i should quit whining and make things ready to welcome this person. "you should always be ready to take in one of My children," He said. "I need you to be Me to XX in this time. I need you to welcome XX as I would, to put your perceived comfort aside for My ministry."

sheesh.

i've said before that i believe God is using this time in my life to help me get my act together. just simple things like keeping a house and running it smoothly, being a good hostess and pastor's wife and mother. basically, growing up and getting my life in order, if that makes any sense.

i think this is another lesson. the ministry to which Jesus has called me does not stop at church or with the youth group or with the nursery. i need to be ready to offer all i have to people in need. my ministry needs to be every day. a lifestyle.

after all, did He not die, as we celebrated today, and rise again in order welcome us to His home?

Lord, help me prepare my home for anyone You send. if i had even a fraction of the fervor that You display as You prepare a place for Your children - just a slice of that genuine hospitality and love - i wouldn't have thought twice about hosting this person.

i want that.

1 comment:

rhondamarie said...

i love this post. it was just what i needed to hear. thanks